Membership of the Bureau is open to all Commonwealth geographers and geographers normally resident in the Commonwealth, and others subject to the decision of the Committee of Management.
The objectives of the Bureau are:
- The promotion of the study and practice of Geography at all levels within the Commonwealth, especially in developing countries.
- The dissemination of information of interest to Commonwealth geographers by means of a Newsletter.
- The effecting of exchange of staff, especially junior staff and research workers, between different countries of the Commonwealth.
- The establishment and improvement of contacts with other Commonwealth organisations.
- The organisation and facilitation of capacity building workshops for developing Commonwealth countries in areas that are pertinent to these countries. The capacity building workshops should include not only academic faculty members but also individuals such as graduate students, employees of research organisations, NGO personnel, bureaucrats and private sector participants.
- The soliciting of funds from Foundations, Trusts and other sources for furtherance of the objectives listed above.